The Covenant As Established with Abraham
1. What important place did God give Abraham in the line of the covenant?
God made him to be the father of all believers. Romans 4:12
2. What did God reveal to Abraham as the father of believers?
That his seed would be as the sand upon the seashore. Genesis 22:17
3. Who is this seed?
Christ and those who belong to Him by faith. Galatians 3:16; I Corinthians 3:23
4. How did God try Abraham’s faith in the promise?
God commanded him to offer up his only son, Isaac. Genesis 22:1, 2
5. How did Abraham reveal his strong faith in God’s promise?
He believed that God could even raise Isaac from the dead. Hebrews 11:17-19
6. What did God teach Abraham in this trial of his faith?
That God would provide Christ as the lamb that takes the place of His people. Genesis 22:13, 14 and John 1:29
7. What sign of the covenant did God give to Abraham and his seed?
The sign of circumcision, which today is replaced by baptism. Genesis 17:9-14
8. How did Sarah insist that Isaac should receive the covenant blessing?
She demanded that Ishmael be sent away. Genesis 21:9, 10
9. Why did Abraham send his servant to Haran to get a wife for Isaac?
Because he sought a God-fearing wife for Isaac.
10. What did God reveal would happen to Abraham’s seed before they received the promised land?
God told Abraham that his seed would be afflicted for four hundred years in a strange land. Genesis 15:13