Sin Shows Itself Again in Canaan
1. Whom did God send to encourage the Jews to build the walls of Jerusalem?
Ezra the scribe and Nehemiah the king’s cup bearer.
2. Were the Jews obedient to God after their return to Jerusalem?
No, it soon became plain that there were many wicked among them.
3. What sins did the Jews commit?
They married heathen wives and bought and sold on the Sabbath. Nehemiah 13:16, 23
4. What sins did the priests commit?
Some of the priests married heathen wives and corrupted the priesthood. Nehemiah 13:22, 28, 29 and Ezra 9:1-3
5. Why did Haggai rebuke the Jews at this time?
Because the Jews built themselves beautiful homes instead of God’s temple. Haggai 1:1-5
6. For what sins did Malachi rebuke the people?
Malachi told the people that they had robbed God in their tithes and offerings. Malachi 3:8
7. What does all this wickedness among the Jews show us?
That not one of us deserves the blessings which God promises us in Christ.
8. What else does this wickedness reveal to us?
That it was impossible for the Christ to come except by the wonder of God’s grace.
9. What does the repentance of some of the Israelites show?
That God is faithful to His promise to cause a remnant to look for Christ’s coming. Malachi 3:16
10. How did the Lord speak of His faithfulness through Malachi?
He declared, “I the Lord change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.” Malachi 3:6