Israel Receives the Law
1. Why did God lead Israel to Mount Sinai?
To organize their whole life as a covenant people.
2. What did God give Israel at Sinai to make them a covenant people?
The Ten Commandments and the civil and ceremonial laws.
3. What does God demand of us in these Ten Commandments?
That we shall love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our mind, and with all our strength. Luke 10:27
4. What does the Law teach us concerning ourselves?
That we by nature are prone to hate God and our neighbour. Heidelberg Catechism, Lord’s Day II
5. How did God use the Law to teach Israel concerning their salvation?
Through the Law God taught Israel to look for the coming of Christ. Galatians 3:24
6. What did God give Israel besides these laws?
God gave Israel the plan for the tabernacle. Exodus 25
7. How did the tabernacle point to Christ?
The sacrifices in the tabernacle were types of Christ, who died for our sins.
8. Why was the tabernacle called God’s house?
Because it was a type of God dwelling with His people.
9. How did God dwell with His people in the tabernacle?
In a cloud of glory in the Most Holy Place. Exodus 40:34
10. Did it become plain that Israel did not deserve God’s presence with them?
Indeed, for Israel was serving the golden calf when Moses came down from the mount. Exodus 32