The Ministry of John the Baptist
Matthew 3, Mark 1, Luke 3, John 1
1. Who was John the Baptist?
John the Baptist was the forerunner of the Lord.
2. Which prophecy was fulfilled in John?
Malachi 3:1, “Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me.”
3. What was John’s task?
He was called to prepare all Israel for the coming of Christ.
4. How was John prepared for his work?
God Himself instructed him in the wilderness and called him unto his work. Luke 1:76, 80; 3:2
5. Why did John labor in the wilderness?
As a testimony against the dead formalism of the temple service.
6. What did John emphasize in his preaching?
That the people must repent, for the kingdom of heaven was at hand.
7. Why did John emphasize that the kingdom was heavenly?
Because the people expected an earthly kingdom.
8. How did John answer the leaders of the Jews who asked him who he was?
“I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord.” John 1:19-27
9. What did John answer when the people thought he was the Christ?
He pointed out that one mightier than he would come, who would baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
10. What was the climax of John’s ministry?
He pointed out Jesus as the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29