Jesus Is Born
Matthew 2, Luke 2
1. When was Jesus born?
In the fulness of time. Gal. 4:4
2. What is meant by the “fulness of time”?
It was the time when God had all things prepared for the coming of the Savior.
3. Who announced Jesus’ birth?
The angel Gabriel, who told Mary that she would be the mother of the Lord. Luke 1:26-38
4. Why did Joseph and Mary go to Bethlehem?
Because Caesar Augustus had decreed that the whole world should be taxed. Luke 2:1
5. What was God’s purpose with the decree of Caesar Augustus?
To bring Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem, the city of David, where Jesus had to be born.
6. Why was Jesus laid in a manger?
Because there was no room for Him in the inn. Luke 2:7
7. Does the fact that Jesus was laid in a manger have spiritual meaning?
Yes, there is never any room for Jesus in the heart of man until Jesus Himself makes room.
8. Why was the Savior born in such great poverty?
That through His poverty we might become rich. II Cor. 8:9
9. What did the angel instruct Joseph concerning the Savior’s name?
“Thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.” Matt. 1:21
10. Is Jesus the Savior of all men?
No, He is the Savior only of the elect, who are gathered from all nations.