Persecution and Growth
1. How did the Lord cause the church at Jerusalem to grow?
Through the preaching and miracles of the apostles.
2. What was the first recorded miracle of the apostles?
The healing of the lame beggar at the gate of the temple. Acts 3:1-10
3. What was the importance of the miracle of the healing of the lame beggar?
It showed that Christ was now working signs and wonders through the apostles.
4. What was the result of the miracle of the healing of the lame beggar?
Through the preaching of the apostles about five thousand men believed.
5. What was the reaction of the Jews to the miracle of the healing of the lame beggar?
They were grieved at Peter’s preaching and put Peter and John in prison. Acts 3:12-4:3
6. What did Peter and John answer when they were commanded not to teach in the name of Jesus?
“We cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:20
7. What event brought great fear upon all the church?
The death of Ananias and Sapphira for the sin of lying against the Holy Ghost. Acts 5:1-11
8. What led to the apostles’ second imprisonment by the Sanhedrin?
The Sanhedrin was angry because the apostles continued to teach and perform miracles in the name of Jesus.
9. What was the outcome of the apostles’ hearing before the Council?
The apostles were beaten and released, with the warning not to speak in the name of Jesus.
10. What was the reaction of the apostles to this persecution?
They rejoiced because they were counted worthy to suffer for Jesus’ sake. Acts 5:40-42