Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, John 19
1. Did Jesus die to save all men?
No, He laid down His life only for the sheep whom the Father had given Him. John 10:11, 15, 27-29
2. Why did Jesus die the death of the cross?
Because the death of the cross is an accursed death, and He took our curse upon Himself. Gal. 3:13; Deut. 21:23
3. Why was it necessary for Jesus to take our curse upon Himself?
In order to pay for our sins and merit everlasting life for us.
4. How did Jesus show that He died willingly for our sins?
As soon as He was nailed to the cross, He prayed, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” Luke 23:34
5. What added to the suffering of Jesus on the cross?
That all who saw Him mocked and derided Him.
6. What do we read of the two malefactors who were crucified with Jesus?
That the one mocked Jesus, and the other repented and prayed to be remembered by Christ in His kingdom.
7. What happened during the three hours of darkness?
Jesus suffered the torments of hell because of the sins of all His people.
8. What is the meaning of the sixth cross-word, “It is finished”?
That Jesus had fulfilled the Scriptures and finished the work which the Father gave Him to do.
9. How did Jesus further show that His work was finished?
He confidently commended His spirit into His Father’s hands when He died.
10. How did God show that Jesus’ work was finished?
The sun was darkened, the earth quaked, the graves of many saints were opened, and the veil of the temple was rent.