Jesus’ Arrest and Trial
Matthew 26; Mark 14, 15; Luke 22, 23; John 18, 19
1. What did Jesus pray in Gethsemane?
“O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt.” Matt. 26:39
2. How did Jesus show that His enemies were powerless to capture Him?
He struck down the whole band by the word of His power. John 18:1-12
3. To whom was Jesus taken first after His arrest?
To Annas, father-in-law of Caiaphas, and a former high priest. John 18:13, 19-24
4. How did the Jewish Council that tried Jesus show their wickedness?
They sought false witnesses to testify against Jesus. Matt. 26:59
5. Upon what ground did the Jewish Council finally condemn Jesus?
Upon Jesus’ testimony that He was the Christ, the Son of the living God. Matt. 26:63-66
6. Why was Jesus’ condemnation by the Sanhedrin so very wicked?
Because it showed plainly that they rejected Jesus as the Christ.
7. What added to Jesus’ suffering while He was on trial before the Jews?
He was denied by Peter, one of His own disciples.
8. What was the attitude of Pilate at the trial of Jesus?
Pilate was afraid of Jesus, especially because he knew that Jesus was innocent.
9. Why did Pilate sentence Jesus to die even though he knew Jesus was innocent?
Because he was afraid of the people and because he wanted the friendship of Caesar.
10. What was God’s purpose in the entire trial of Jesus?
To prove that Jesus was innocently condemned to death.