Israel — From Ahab to Captivity
1. Through whom was the entire house of Ahab destroyed?
Through Jehu, who was appointed for this work by God.
2. Was Jehu a God-fearing king?
No, for even though he destroyed the wicked house of Ahab, he did it only for his own good.
3. What makes this very plain?
Jehu did not depart from “the sin of Jeroboam, the son of Nebat.”
4. Who prophesied during the time of Jehu?
The prophet Elisha, who did many miracles.
5. Who was Israel’s chief enemy at this time?
The kingdom of Syria, over whom Israel had many victories.
6. How long did the house of Jehu reign over Israel?
To the fourth generation, but none of them departed from the sin of the golden calves.
7. Who were two of the mightiest kings of Israel from Jehu’s house?
Jehoash and Jeroboam II, who won great victories over the Syrians.
8. Who prophesied especially during the time of the last kings of Israel?
Hosea, who warned of the coming judgment over Israel.
9. What mighty empire finally took Israel captive?
Assyria, which replaced the Israelites by strange people, known later as Samaritans.
10. What is the date of Israel’s captivity?
Memorize the kings of Israel from Jehu to Hoshea, as follows:
Jehu, Jehoahaz, Jehoash, Jeroboam II, Zachariah, Shallum, Menahem, Pekahiah, Pekah, Hoshea