Lord’s Day 9
LORD’S DAY 9
Q. 26. What believest thou when thou sayest, “I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth”?
A. That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (who of nothing made heaven and earth, with all that is in them;1 who likewise upholds and governs the same by His eternal counsel and providence2 ) is, for the sake of Christ His Son, my God and my Father; on whom I rely so entirely, that I have no doubt but He will provide me with all things necessary for soul and body;3 and further, that He will make whatever evils He sends upon me, in this valley of tears, turn out to my advantage;4 for He is able to do it, being Almighty God,5 and willing, being a faithful Father.6
- Gen. 1, 2; Psa. 33:6.
- Psa. 115:3; Mat. 10:29; Heb. 1:3; John 5:17.
- John 1:12, 16; Rom. 8:15, 16; Gal. 4:5, 6; Eph. 1:5; 1 John 3:1.
- Psa. 55:22; Mat. 6:26.
- Rom. 8:28; Rom. 4:21.
- Rom. 10:12; Mat. 6:26; Mat. 7:9-11.
LORD’S DAY 9
Our Father Creator
1. What do you believe when you confess, “I believe in God the Father”?
That God is, for the sake of Christ His Son, my God and my Father. Romans 8:14-16.
2. What is the relationship of the triune God to Jesus?
He is the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. John 17:1; 20:17.
3. What does God do as your Father?
He provides me with all things necessary for body and soul. Matthew 6:31, 32; Ephesians 1:3.
4. But are you confident that God provides all things when you experience troubles in this life too?
Yes, I believe that whatever evils He sends me in this valley of tears He will turn to my advantage. Psalm 55:22; Romans 8:28.
5. What is your response to this care of God for you?
I rely on Him entirely because I know He is able to do all this, being Almighty God, and and willing, being a faithful Father.
6. What do you believe when you confess that your Father is also “Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth”?
That God out of nothing made heaven and earth and all that is in them. Genesis 1.
7. In how long a period did God create all things?
In six successive days, each limited by morning and evening. Genesis 1:5; Exodus 20:11.
8. For what purpose did God create all things?
That He might reveal Himself to us and glorify Himself through the works of His hands. Romans 1:20.