LORD’S DAY 3
Q. 6. Did God then create man so wicked and perverse?
A. By no means; but God created man good,1 and after His own image,2 in true righteousness and holiness, that he might rightly know God his Creator, heartily love Him, and live with Him in eternal happiness to glorify and praise Him.3
- Gen. 1:31.
- Gen. 1:26, 27; Col. 3:10; Eph. 4:24.
- Eph. 1:6; 1 Cor. 6:20.
Q. 7. Whence then proceeds this depravity of human nature?
A. From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, Adam and Eve, in Paradise;1 hence our nature is become so corrupt, that we are all conceived and born in sin.2
- Gen. 3:6; Rom. 5:12, 18, 19.
- Psa. 51:5; Gen. 5:3.
Q. 8. Are we then so corrupt that we are wholly incapable of doing any good, and inclined to all wickedness?
A. Indeed we are, 1 except we are regenerated by the Spirit of God.2
- Gen. 6:5; Job 14:4; Job 15:14, 16.
- John 3:5; Eph. 2:5.
LORD’S DAY 3
The Blame for Sin
1. Did God create man wicked and perverse?
By no means, but God created man good and after His own image. Genesis 1:26, 27.
2. What does it mean that God created man in His own image?
Man was created to reflect in a limited, earthly way some of God’s perfections.
3. What were some of the perfections of God man reflected in Paradise?
Knowledge of God, true righteousness, and holiness. Colossians 3:10; Ephesians 4:24.
4. Why did God create man in His own image?
That he might rightly know God, heartily love Him, and live with Him in eternal happiness to glorify and praise Him. I Corinthians 6:20.
5. From where then comes the depravity of the human nature?
From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, Adam and Eve, in Paradise.
6. What was the result of this fall into sin for Adam and Eve?
They died the spiritual death and lost the image of God.
7. What was the result of this fall into sin for all their children?
Because Adam and Eve were the first parents of the human race, all their children inherited the sin and depravity of their natures. Psalm 51:5.
8. Was there another result of this fall for Adam’s children?
Yes, for Adam also represented the human race as its legal head in Paradise, and therefore his guilt was imputed to every man. Romans 5:12.
9. How great is our depravity?
Total: we are so corrupt that we are wholly incapable of doing any good and inclined to all wickedness. Genesis 6:5; Psalm 14:1-3; Romans 3:9-20.
10. How are we delivered from our depravity?
Only by being regenerated by the Spirit of God. John 3:3-5.