LORD’S DAY 20
Q. 53. What dost thou believe concerning the Holy Ghost?
A. First, that He is true and co-eternal God with the Father and the Son;1 secondly, that He is also given me,2 to make me, by a true faith, partaker of Christ and all His benefits,3 that He may comfort me4 and abide with me for ever.5
- Gen. 1:2; Isa. 48:16; 1 Cor. 3:16.
- Mat. 28:19; 2 Cor. 1:22.
- Gal. 3:14; 1 Pet. 1:2.
- Acts 9:31.
- John 14:16; 1 Pet. 4:14.
LORD’S DAY 20
The Holy Spirit
1. What do you believe concerning the Holy Spirit?
That He is true and co-eternal God with the Father and the Son.
2. How do you know that the Holy Spirit is really God?
Because the Bible ascribes to Him divine names, attributes, works, and honors. Hebrews 9:14; John 14:16; Job 33:4; Matthew 12:28.
3. How do you know that the Holy Spirit is a person?
Because all the personal attributes of intellect and will belong to Him. Isaiah 11:2; I Timothy 4:1; Acts 13:2.
4. What can you say of the work of the Holy Spirit?
As the Spirit of Christ He is given me to comfort and abide with me forever. Acts 9:31; John 14:16.
5. When was the Spirit given to the church?
He was poured out upon the church on the day of Pentecost, ten days after Christ’s ascension. Acts 2:1-4.
6. What work does the Spirit perform in your salvation?
He makes me, by a true faith, partaker of Christ and all His benefits.
7. What does it mean that you are a partaker of Christ’s benefits?
The Spirit applies to me the blessings of salvation Christ has earned on the cross. John 3:5; Romans 8:1, 2; I Corinthians 2:10, 14.