Lord’s Day 11
LORD’S DAY 11
Q. 29. Why is the Son of God called Jesus, that is, a Savior?
A. Because He saveth us, and delivereth us from our sins;1 and likewise, because we ought not to seek, neither can find salvation in any other.2
- Mat. 1:21.
- Acts 4:12.
Q. 30. Do such then believe in Jesus the only Savior, who seek their salvation and welfare of saints, of themselves, or anywhere else?
A. They do not; for though they boast of Him in words, yet in deeds they deny Jesus the only deliverer and Savior;1 for one of these two things must be true, either that Jesus is not a complete Savior, or that they who by a true faith receive this Savior must find all things in Him necessary to their salvation.2
- 1 Cor. 1:13, 31; Gal. 5:4.
- Col. 2:20; Isa. 9:6, 7; Col. 1:19, 20.
LORD’S DAY 11
1. Which are the principal names of the Savior?
Jesus, Christ, and Lord.
2. What are a few other names of our Savior used in Scripture?
Son of God, Son of Man, Lamb of God, Lion of Judah’s Tribe, Immanuel.
3. Why is the Son of God called Jesus, that is, a Savior?
Because He saves us, and delivers us from our sins. Matthew 1:21.
4. What is it to save?
To save is to deliver us from sin and hell and make us partakers of the highest joy of heaven. Psalm 40:2, 3.
5. For whom is Jesus a Savior?
Jesus came to save only those whom God has chosen and therefore given to Him from eternity. John 6:37-39; 13:1; 17:2.
6. May we seek or can we find salvation in any other than in Jesus?
No, there is none other name under heaven whereby we can be saved. Acts 4:12.
7. Do such believe in Jesus who seek their salvation of themselves or anywhere else?
They do not; for though they boast of Him in words, yet in deeds they deny Jesus as the only deliverer and Savior.
8. What must be true of those who by faith receive this Savior?
They find in Him all things necessary to their salvation. Colossians 1:19, 20.