LORD’S DAY 10
Q. 27. What dost thou mean by the providence of God?
A. The almighty and everywhere present power of God,1 whereby, as it were by His hand, He upholds and governs heaven, earth, and all creatures;2 so that herbs and grass, rain and drought,3 fruitful and barren years, meat and drink,4 health and sickness,5 riches and poverty,6 yea, and all things come, not by chance, but by His fatherly hand.7
- Acts 17:25-28.
- Heb. 1:3.
- Jer. 5:24.
- Acts 14:17.
- John 9:3.
- Prov. 22:2; Job 1:21.
- Mat. 10:29, 30; Eph. 1:11.
Q. 28. What advantage is it to us to know that God has created, and by His providence doth still uphold all things?
A. That we may be patient in adversity;1 thankful in prosperity;2 and that in all things which may hereafter befall us, we place our firm trust in our faithful God and Father,3 that nothing shall separate us from His love;4 since all creatures are so in His hand, that without His will they cannot so much as move.5
- Rom. 5:3; Psa. 39:10.
- Deut. 8:10; 1 Thes. 5:18.
- Rom. 5:3-6.
- Rom. 8:38, 39.
- Job 1:12; Job 2:6; Mat. 8:31; Isa. 10:15.
LORD’S DAY 10
Our Father Provider
1. Did God, having created all things, leave the world to itself?
By no means, but He upholds all things by His providence.
2. What do you mean by the providence of God?
The almighty and everywhere present power of God whereby He upholds and governs heaven, earth, and all creatures. Nehemiah 9:6.
3. What is included under the providence of God?
All of nature, such as, herbs and grass, rain and drought, fruitful and barren years, meat and drink. Psalm 104:27-30.
4. Does the power of God’s providence extend over man?
Yes, God governs everything that takes place in the history of this world and in our own personal lives, such as health and sickness, riches and poverty. Proverbs 16:9; 21:1; Job 1:21.
5. But does God direct in His providence the good and evil acts of men as well?
God is God, and nothing stands outside of the power of His rule, even when devils and wicked men act unjustly. Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7; Acts 2:22, 23; Ephesians 2:10; Philippians 2:13.
6. What does it mean that God upholds all things?
That God preserves and sustains all things that they might continue to exist.
7. What does it mean that God governs all things?
That nothing happens by chance, since all creatures are so in God’s hand that without His will they cannot so much as move.
8. What advantage is it to us to know that God by His providence upholds all things?
Since God is our faithful God and Father, He will so govern all things that nothing will ever separate us from His love. Romans 8:28, 35-39.
9. How will the assurance that God is our faithful Father show itself in our lives?
We will be patient in adversity and thankful in prosperity; and in everything that befalls us we will place our trust in our faithful Father.