LORD’S DAY 1
Q. 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?
A. That I with body and soul,1 both in life and death, am not my own,2 but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ;3 who, with His precious blood,4 hath fully satisfied for all my sins,5 and delivered me from all the power of the devil;6 and so preserves me7 that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head;8 yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation,9 and therefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life,10 and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto Him.11
- I Cor. 6:19, 20.
- Rom. 14:7, 8, 9.
- I Cor. 3:23.
- I Pet. 1:18, 19.
- I John 1:7.
- I John 3:8; Heb. 2:14, 15.
- John 6:39 and 10:28, 29.
- Luke 21:18; Matt. 10:30.
- Rom. 8:28.
- II Cor. 1:22 and 5:5.
- Rom. 8:14, and 7:22.
Q. 2. How many things are necessary for thee to know, that thou, enjoying this comfort, mayest live and die happily?
A. Three;1 the first, how great my sins and miseries are;2 the second, how I may be delivered from all my sins and miseries;3 the third, how I shall express my gratitude to God for such deliverance.4
- Luke 24:47.
- I Cor. 6:10, 11; John 9:41; Rom. 3:10, 19.
- John 17:3.
- Eph. 5:8, 9, 10.
LORD’S DAY 1
My Only Comfort
1. What is your only comfort in life and in death?
That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. I Corinthians 3:23; 6:19, 20; Romans 14:7-9.
2. Why is it a great comfort to belong to Jesus?
Because He atoned and fully satisfied with His blood for all my sins.
3. From what has Christ delivered you through His precious blood?
He delivered me from all the power of the devil, sin, and death.
4. Is every detail of your life under God’s control?
Yes, He so preserves me that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my heavenly Father. Luke 21:18; Matthew 10:30.
5. Of what advantage is it to you to know that God so controls all things?
I know God works all things for my good, and that all things are therefore subservient to my salvation. Romans 8:28.
6. How do you know that for Jesus’ sake you have eternal life?
He assures me of this by His Holy Spirit.
7. Are you assured of eternal life by the fruits of God’s work in you?
Yes, God also makes me sincerely willing and ready to live unto Him.
8. What three things are necessary to know in order to live and die happily?
How great my sins and miseries are, how I may be delivered from them, and how I must express my gratitude to God for that deliverance.