1. Does the creation continue to exist by itself?
By no means, but all things continue to exist only by the providence of God. John 5:17; Acts 17:28
2. What is the providence of God?
The almighty and omnipresent power of God whereby He upholds all things and governs them according to His own counsel.Hebrews 1:3
3. What is included in the providence of God?
All things great and small, good and evil; all things in heaven,on earth, and in hell; all the acts of men and angels.Matthew 10:20, 29; Psalm 103:19; Proverbs 21:1; 16:1, 9
4. What distinctions may be made in the truth of providence?
5. What is preservation?
It is that act of God whereby He continues to give existence to all the creatures He created. Daniel 4:34, 35; Acts 17:25-28
6. What is government?
It is that act of God whereby He leads all things to the end which He has determined for them. Acts 15:18
7. If God governs men’s actions, are they passive instruments in His hands?
No, but man remains a thinking, willing, and active agent and is responsible for all he does. Acts 2:23; Philippians 2:12, 13
8. What is the comfort of providence for the believer?
That all things come to us by the hand of our heavenly Father and that He makes all things serve our salvation. Amos 9:8, 9;Romans 8:28
1. Are miracles “violations” (suspensions) of the laws of nature?Explain your answer.
2. Scripture speaks of miracles as signs. (Cf. John 20:30; Isaiah 7:14.)What is a sign? Of what are miracles signs?
3. What does Psalm 73 teach concerning the prosperity of the wicked and the suffering of the righteous?
4. Explain how the following passages teach that God’s control is also over sin: II Samuel 16:10; 24:1, 10; Proverbs 21:1;Acts 2:23; 4:26-28.
5. Explain what the following passages teach concerning the comfort of providence for God’s people: Hebrews 13:5, 6;Romans 8:28; 8:35-39; Matthew 10:30.
6. Does the truth of providence imply that God is the author of sin?