God’s Work in Eternity
1. How are God’s works which He performs outside Himself divided?
Between His works which He performs in time and those which He performs in eternity. Acts 15:18
2. What are His works in eternity?
His eternal decrees. Ephesians 1:3, 4
3. What are God’s decrees?
His eternal counsel, according to which He works all things.Ephesians 1:11
4. Does Scripture use other words to refer to God’s decrees?
Yes, His counsel, will, purpose, and good pleasure. Ephesians 1:9, 11
5. What attributes does Scripture give to God’s counsel?
Scripture teaches that God’s counsel is eternal, sovereignly free,independent, unchangeable, efficacious, all-comprehensive, wise, and good. Romans 11:33-36; Hebrews 6:17
6. What does it mean that God’s counsel is eternal?
That God determined all things in His counsel before the world began. Psalm 33:11; Isaiah 46:10
7. What does it mean that God’s counsel is all-comprehensive?
That God in His counsel determines all things that come to pass.Acts 15:8; I Samuel 23:11, 12
8. What is the decree of predestination?
God’s eternal counsel with regard to the eternal state of His rational creatures, including election and reprobation. Romans 9:11-13
9. What is the decree of election?
The eternal, sovereign, and gracious good-pleasure of God to save to eternal glory some men through the means of faith in Christ.Ephesians 1:5, 6; II Thessalonians 2:13; Romans 8:29
10. What is the decree of reprobation?
The eternal, sovereign, and righteous good-pleasure of God to condemn others to eternal damnation on account of their sin.I Peter 2:8; Romans 9:17, 18; Proverbs 16:4
1. Look up Romans 9:11-18 and Ephesians 1:4, 5 and answer these questions:
a. Does God elect people because they believe on Him?
b. Does God reprobate people because they refuse to believe?
2. What does John 10:25, 26 teach concerning the relation between reprobation and unbelief?
3. What do Canons I, 6; John 6:40; and Acts 13:48 teach concerning the relation between faith and the decree of election?
4. Look up II Peter 1:10 and explain how we can make our election sure.
5. How does the First Point of common grace militate against the doctrine of predestination? Look up Ready to Give an Answer, pages 63-88, to help you find the answer.
6. Look up Romans 9:22, 23 and explain what according to this passage is God’s purpose in election and reprobation.
7. Look up the proof texts in answers 9 & 10 and show how they prove election and reprobation.