God’s Incommunicable Attributes
1. What are the attributes of God?
They are the infinite perfections of His divine being that reveal to us who and what God is. I Peter 2:9
2. How are God’s attributes generally distinguished?
They are distinguished as communicable and incommunicabl eattributes.
3. What is meant by that distinction?
Since we are created in the image of God, some attributes are reflected in us. These are called communicable attributes.
4. Which are God’s incommunicable attributes?
His oneness, simplicity, independency, infinity, and immutability.
5. What is meant by God’s oneness?
That there is only one divine essence and that there is no God besides Him. Deuteronomy 6:4; Psalm 18:31
6. What is meant by God’s simplicity?
That God is indivisible and not composed and that His attributes are one in Him. Mark 12:29
7. What is meant by God’s independency?
That He is self-sufficient and is dependent upon no other for His existence. Isaiah 40:13, 14; John 5:26
8. What is meant by God’s infinity?
That God is a God of endless perfection, and that He is eternal and everywhere present. Psalm 90:2; Jeremiah 23:23, 24;I Timothy 1:17
9. What is meant by God’s immutability?
That God never changes in His own being or in any of His works and ways. Malachi 3:6
10. Why does God reveal His incommunicable attributes to us?
That we may know that He is highly exalted above all and that He alone ought to be praised. Jeremiah 10:6, 7
1. What incommunicable attributes of God are mentioned in Article 1 of the Belgic Confession?
2. What attributes of God are described in the following texts:Acts 17:24; I John 1:5; 4:8; I Corinthians 8:6; James 1:17;Psalm 90:4; 139:7-10; I Kings 8:27; Job 11:7-9?
3. In Genesis 6:6 we read that God repents. How do you explain this in the light of God’s immutability?
4. What does Deuteronomy 6:5, 6 say is our calling because God is one?