1. What is the church?
The church is the elect body of Christ, which is revealed on earth as the gathering of elect believers and their seed.Ephesians 1:23; I Peter 2:9
2. How is the church gathered?
Christ gathers His church by His Word and Spirit.Ephesians 5:26, 27; Ephesians 2:13-17
3. How can the church be distinguished?
As the church militant on earth, the church triumphant in heaven, and the church latent which must still be born.Ephesians 6:11, 12; II Timothy 4:7, 8
4. How can the church militant on earth be distinguished?
As the church visible and the church invisible.
5. What is meant by the church visible?
The church as it is revealed in the world, in the ministry of the Word and sacraments, and in the confession and walk of her members.
6. What is meant by the church invisible?
The church from the viewpoint of her internal spiritual life of regeneration, faith, and the other blessings of salvation.
7. What are the marks of the true church?
The pure preaching of the Word of God, the proper administration of the sacraments, and the exercise of Christian discipline.John 8:31, 47
8. What offices did Christ institute in His church on earth?
The offices of minister, elder, and deacon. Acts 6;Ephesians 4:11, 12
9. What are the keys of the kingdom?
The preaching of the Word and the exercise of Christian discipline, by which the kingdom is opened and shut to believers and unbelievers. John 20:23
10. Who belong to the church visible on earth?
All confessing believers who walk according to their confession,and their children. Acts 2:39; Genesis 17:7
1. Read I Corinthians 12:12-27 and describe how these verses compare the church with a human body.
2. Read Article 29 of the Belgic Confession and write what this article says concerning the marks of the true and false church.
3. Read Article 28 of the Belgic Confession and write what our calling is towards the true church.
4. Why is it necessary to be a member of the church institute?
5. Read I Timothy 3:2-12 and list some of the qualifications of elders and deacons.