1. What is the Bible?
The Bible is the divinely inspired and infallibly written Word of God. II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:19-21
2. How do we know that the Bible is the Word of God?
First, from the testimony of the Bible itself; secondly, from the testimony of the Spirit in our hearts. I John 5:6
3. What is meant by inspiration?
It is that act of God whereby He moved, illumined, and infallibly directed men to write the Word of God.
4. How did God perform the work of inspiration?
“Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.”II Peter 1:21
5. What are the attributes of Holy Scripture?
Infallibility, unity, perspicuity, authority, and sufficiency.
6. What is meant by the infallibility of Scripture?
That Scripture is word for word the Word of God and is,therefore, without error. II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20, 21
7. What is meant by the unity of Scripture?
That all Scripture is the one revelation of God in Jesus Christ as the God of our salvation. John 5:39
8. What is meant by the perspicuity of Scripture?
That through the operation of the Spirit, Scripture can be easily understood by God’s people unto their salvation.
9. What is meant by the authority of Scripture?
That Scripture is the only rule for our faith and our life.II Timothy 3:16, 17
10. What is meant by the sufficiency of Holy Scripture?
That Scripture fully contains the will of God for our salvation. Belgic Confession, Article 7
1. Look up II Peter 1:20, 21 and II Timothy 3:16 and answer this question: Is Scripture the product of both God and man? Prove your answer from these texts.
2. Read the Belgic Confession, Article 5 and answer this question:Why do we believe all things contained in the Scriptures?
3. What is the purpose of the Bible? See John 5:39; II Timothy 3:16, 17.
4. If the Scriptures are easy to understand, how do you explain II Peter 3:16?
5. Find other proof in Scripture that Scripture is without error.
6. What is the meaning of the following terms:
a. Organic inspiration?
b. Verbal inspiration?
c. Plenary inspiration?
d. Graphic inspiration?