The Offices of the Mediator
1. To which office was Christ anointed?
To the threefold office of Prophet, Priest, and King. Isaiah 61:1
2. What does Christ do as our Prophet?
He reveals to us the whole counsel of God with respect to our salvation. Matthew 11:25-27
3. Was Christ already our Prophet while on earth?
Yes, in His own Person and in His works He revealed God’s purpose in salvation. John 15:15
4. What does Christ do as our Prophet in heaven?
He continues to teach us by His Word and Spirit. John 14:26
5. What did Christ do as our Priest while on earth?
He offered Himself upon the cross for the sins of His people.Hebrews 9:14, 28
6. What is the power and value of that sacrifice?
It was a substitutionary sacrifice, by which He paid for all the sins of His people and secured their salvation. Romans 5:19;Hebrews 10:14; Ephesians 5:2
7. What does Christ do as our Priest in heaven?
He intercedes for us with the Father and blesses us with every spiritual blessing. Hebrews 2:17
8. What did Christ do as our King while on earth?
He destroyed all the powers of the devil and hell, of sin and death, by His perfect work on the cross. Colossians 2:15
9. What does He do now as our King?
Christ rules His church by His Word and Spirit.Ephesians 1:22, 23
10. Does He do anything else?
Yes, Christ protects His church against the assaults of the powers of darkness and brings His kingdom into final glory.
1. Look up Isaiah 61:1, 2 and explain how this passage refers to the office of Christ. In this connection, read also Luke 4:16-30.
2. From the following passages explain in what way Melchizedek was a type of Christ: Genesis 14:18-24; Hebrews 6:20; 7:1-17.
3. Name several prophets, priests, and kings in the Old Testament and explain how they were types of Christ.
4. Look up Matthew 11:25-27 and show how this text speaks of Christ’s work as Prophet.
5. Read John 17 and explain how this shows Christ’s work as Priest.
6. How do the miracles of casting out demons show Christ’s work as King?
7. Explain how I Peter 2:9 speaks of believers as prophets, priests, and kings.