The Natures of the Mediator
1. How many natures does Christ have?
Two, Christ has a divine nature and a human nature.Romans 1:3, 4; 9:5
2. How are these two natures united?
They are united in the one Person of the Son of God. Mark 15:39
3. Is Christ, then, true and eternal God?
Yes, for the Word was God and was made flesh. John 1:1, 14;I John 5:20; I Timothy 3:16
4. Why must Christ be truly God?
Because only one who is truly God can bear the burden of our sins and deliver us from them. Galatians 1:3, 4
5. Is Christ also true man?
Yes, for God sent His Son into the likeness of sinful flesh.Romans 8:3
6. What proof is there that Christ had a real human nature?
Christ had a real human body, Luke 24:39, and a real human soul, Matthew 26:38. He could hunger and thirst and feel sorrow and joy, John 19:28; John 11:35.
7. What more can you say of Christ’s human nature?
a. That it was a complete human nature. Hebrews 2:14-17
b. That it was a weak and humiliated human nature. Hebrews 4:15
c. That it was a human nature without sin, holy and undefiled. Hebrews 7:26ff.
8. How did Christ become man?
Christ assumed the human nature through the power of the Holy Spirit and from the virgin Mary. Luke 1:35
9. Why did Christ have to be truly a man?
Because only a man can suffer for the sins which man committed.Exodus 21:23
10. What can you say as to the union of the two natures in Christ?
That the two natures of Christ exist in unity of divine Person,without division, change, mixture, or separation. John 7:26ff.
1. Read Article 19 of the Belgic Confession and state briefly what this article teaches concerning the natures of Christ.
2. Read Lord’s Days 5 and 6 and state why Christ had to be both very God and real man.
3. When Jesus was born did He have…
a. original pollution? Explain.
b. original guilt? Explain. Cf. Acts 4:27.
4. Find in Scripture the narratives of Christ’s temptation and read them.Read also Hebrews 4:14, 15. Was it possible for Christ to sin? Explain the temptations in light of your answer.
5. Read Philippians 2:5-8 and write what this says about Christ’s human nature.
6. Find two or three texts in Scripture which prove that Christ is God.