The Fall of Man
1. Did man remain God’s friend-servant?
No, he violated the covenant relation when he ate of the forbidden tree. Genesis 2:17; Deuteronomy 4:23
2. Was this sin a great offense?
a. It was disobedience to God’s command. Genesis 3:11
b. By sinning, Adam chose for Satan against God. Genesis 3:14
c. Adam sinned as the head and first father of the whole human race. I Corinthians 15:21, 22
3. What was the punishment for sin?
Death: “for the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”Genesis 2:17; Romans 6:23
4. Did Adam die immediately as God had said?
Yes, Adam was separated from God and banished from His presence in the garden, and he became by nature dead in sin and the object of God’s wrath. Ephesians 2:1; Romans 5:12
5. Are we by nature also under the punishment of Adam’s sin?
Yes, for we also are born dead in trespasses and sins.Romans 5:12; Jeremiah 17:9; I Corinthians 15:21, 22
6. What is original guilt?
Original guilt is the imputation of Adam’s guilt to the whole human race. Romans 5:12
7. What is original pollution?
The corruption of Adam’s nature, which was passed on to the whole human race. Genesis 2:17; Job 15:14; Psalm 51:5
8. Is man capable of doing any good?
No, he is by nature inclined to all evil, and all his works are corrupted and polluted with sin. Psalm 51:5
9. How did God reveal His grace after the fall?
He gave the promise of Christ, the seed of the woman, who would crush the head of the serpent. Genesis 3:15
1. Read Genesis 3:1-6 and answer the following questions:
a. Who was the real tempter of Eve?
b. What lie did Satan speak to Eve?
c. Why was Eve persuaded to eat of the forbidden tree?
2. How was Adam a figure of Christ? Romans 5:12-19; I Corinthians 15:22; Lesson 10, Question 8; Reformed Dogmatics (1966, p. 223;2004 vol. 1, p. 316)
3. What is the meaning of total depravity? Prove this doctrine from the following: Ephesians 2:1; Romans 3:10-19; Canons III/IV, Article 4.
4. Read in Ready to Give an Answer, pages 101, 137, the Second and Third Points of common grace and explain how they deny the truth of total depravity.