THE ATHANASIAN CREED
1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it isnecessary that he hold the catholic faith;
2. Which faith except every one do keep whole andundefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.
3. And the catholic faith is this: That we worshipone God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;
4. Neither confounding the persons nor dividingthe essence.
5. For there is one person of the Father, another ofthe Son, and another of the Holy Ghost.- 65 –
6. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and ofthe Holy Ghost is all one, the glory equal, themajesty coeternal.
7. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such isthe Holy Ghost.
8. The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, and theHoly Ghost uncreated.
9. The Father infinite, the Son infinite, and the HolyGhost infinite.
10. The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the HolyGhost eternal.
11. And yet they are not three eternals, but oneeternal.
12. As also there are not three uncreated nor threeinfinites, but one uncreated and one infinite.
13. So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, and the Holy Ghost almighty.
14. And yet they are not three almighties, but onealmighty.
15. So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the HolyGhost is God.
16. And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.
17. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord,and the Holy Ghost Lord.
18. And yet not three Lords, but one Lord.
19. For like as we are compelled by the Christiantruth to acknowledge every person by Himself to beGod and Lord:
20. So are we forbidden by the catholic religion tosay, There are three Gods or three Lords.
21. The Father is made of none, neither created norbegotten.
22. The Son is of the Father alone, not made norcreated, but begotten.
23. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son,neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
24. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son,not three Sons; one Holy Ghost, not three HolyGhosts.
25. And in this Trinity none is before or after; none isgreater or less.
26. But the whole three persons are coeternal andcoequal.
27. So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity inTrinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshiped.
28. He therefore that will be saved, let him thus thinkof the Trinity.
29. Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe faithfully the incarnationof our Lord Jesus Christ.
30. For the right faith is that we believe and confessthat our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is Godand Man.
31. God, of the essence of the Father, begottenbefore the worlds; and man, of the substance of Hismother, born in the world.
32. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonablesoul and human flesh subsisting.
33. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead,and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.
34. Who although He is God and man, yet He is nottwo, but one Christ.
35. One, not by conversion of the Godhead intoflesh, but by taking of the manhood into God.
36. One altogether, not by confusion of essence, butby unity of person.
37. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man,so God and man is one Christ;
38. Who suffered for our salvation, descended intohell, rose again the third day from the dead;
39. He ascended into heaven, He sitteth on the righthand of God, the Father Almighty.
40. From whence He shall come to judge the quickand the dead.
41. At whose coming all men shall rise again withtheir bodies;
42. And shall give account for their own works.
43. And they that have done good shall go into lifeeverlasting, and they that have done evil, intoeverlasting fire.
44. This is the catholic faith, which except a manbelieve faithfully and firmly he cannot be saved.